I am yet to come across a person who dislikes Italian Cuisine, how can you, there is absolutely nothing to dislike! The soul of Italian cooking is simplicity. It doesn’t intimidate you and like me once you’ve had a go with it there is no going back, you’ll want to cook more of Italy’s finest (isn’t that a good thing!!), which I reckon is food inspiration. One of the most iconic Italian dish is Aglio Olio. “Aglio” is Garlic and “Olio” is oil, it is a beautiful healthy simple dish and a dish that is so easy and quick to make and guess what… it’s delicious!
There are days when even the most eager cooks like myself don’t want to cook anything, and on one such day, Addy my husband suggested that we try this dish. We first tried Aglio Olio at a restaurant in Singapore, and he loved it, but I always thought that it could be made a lot better and when he mentioned Aglio Olio, I was up for the challenge and yes I won! His reaction – priceless!!
All the ingredients in this recipe can be easily found in your kitchen cabinet/fridge at any given time which makes this recipe easy and convenient.
Aglio Olio (serves 4)
Spaghetti – 500g
Garlic – 6-8 cloves thinly sliced
Extra virgin Olive Oil – 150ml
Continental Parsley – chopped (garnish)
Chilli flakes – 1 teaspoon
Fresh chilli – 1-2 sliced in an angle
Salt – to taste
Black pepper – to taste
Parmesan Cheese – grated (garnish)
- Bring water to a boil, add a tablespoon of salt
- Add the spaghetti and stir occasionally.
- Heat a pan simultaneously on another burner and put olive oil on a medium low flame.
- Add garlic(I use thinly sliced for mine but you could use chopped, grated or minced as preferred) to the oil and when the oil just starts to bubble turn the heat to the lowest flame.
- Keep an eye on the garlic and stir it occasionally. As soon as the garlic turns slightly golden, add the chilli flakes and stir again.
- Now take about a quarter cup of water from the cooking pasta and add it to the oil and turn off the flame. This stops the garlic from burning as the oil is hot.
- Keep checking the spaghetti from time to time and when it is cooked, drain well and keep aside (you don’t want to overcook it).
- In a large serving dish or bowl, place the spaghetti, add salt and pepper to taste.
- Now add the garlic infused olive oil, small amount of grated Parmesan cheese and fresh chilli to the pasta and mix well.
- Garnish with continental parsley and Parmesan cheese.
- Enjoy it with a glass of red!!
I hope you like this recipe! You could also enjoy garlic bread on the side, which contrary to the popular myth is anything but italian. I will share my “garlic bread” recipe too, but I’ll save that for another post.