This is a dish which is lesser known in most parts of the world, but in India, Chicken Lababdar is a delicacy served in most mughlai restaurants. It is similar to the popular “Butter Chicken”, but trust me it is much more divine and delicious. I don’t know the story behind this dish, but what I do know is every time I had this in my favourite mughlai restaurant in India, it never ceased to blow my mind. If you’re in Delhi, do try this dish at Moti Mahal Deluxe as it is one of their specialties and they make it the best. And on a day when you feel like cooking something special for your loved ones, try this recipe.
Don’t let the number of ingredients scare you, as you’ll see how each of them is important and complement each other to make a beautiful, rich creamy curry.
Chicken Breast 500-600gms (cubed into medium size pieces)
Yoghurt 1/2 cup
Raw Cream 4 heaped tbsp
Cashew nut powder 2tbsp
Saffron 1/4 tsp
Olive oil 1/4 cup
Food colour (orange/yellow) 1/4 tsp
Kasoori Methi (dried fenugreek leaves) 2tbsp
Red Chilli Powder 1/2 tbsp
Salt 1/4 Tbsp
Turmeric 1/4 tbsp
Cumin Powder 1 tsp
Garam Masala powder 1/2 tbsp
Coriander Powder 2 tsp
Ginger chopped 1tbsp
Garlic chopped 1tbsp
Green chillies 2
Butter 3 tbsp
Whole spices – (2 dry Bay leaf, 1 black Cardamom, 2-3 green Cardamom, 1 Clove, 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, 2-3 small pieces of Cinnamon stick, 4 whole dry red chillies )
- Mix curd, raw cream, cashew nut powder, kasoori methi, food colour and saffron, keep aside.
- Masala paste – Grind together Onion, Tomato, Green chilli, Chilli powder, Garam Masala, turmeric powder, cumin powder, coriander powder, salt, chopped ginger and garlic.
- Heat oil in a saucepan on a medium flame. Add the whole spices and fry.
- Add the masala paste and sauté till the oil separates.
- Add chicken pieces to the masala and fry for about 5 minutes, Now add 1/2 cup of water. Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add the curd mix and butter, stir well.
- On a low flame, cover and continue cooking till you get a rich and creamy gravy.
Garnish with Coriander leaves, fresh cream and ginger juliennes.